If there's one thing I've learned about fitness clothing and accessories it's that paying the premium for higher quality is always better. My obsession with high end workout gear started six years ago when my partner introduced me to Lululemon---four bags and countless shorts and shirts later it's still one of my favorite brands.
Between teaching fitness classes, personal training, and my own workouts, I pretty much carry one or two gym bags with me at all times, which means they get thrown around in and out of my truck on a daily basis. One bag usually houses my work attire, and the others will have my morning and evening workout clothes.
Over the past few months I've had to travel a lot for work, and needless to say traveling with four bags is not ideal. But one of my favorite things to do when I'm out of town is visit different fitness studios, so that means I need to pack an additional outfit or two (plus the appropriate footwear) on top of what I need for the office.I had to figure out a way to condense my luggage and find something that could accommodate both work, and workout wear.
Before I jumped online to search for the perfect bag, I created a list of "must haves" to narrow down the search.
1. High End Look: Since I would be using this bag for both my workouts and my work travel, I needed a bag that looked sophisticated in case I had to bring it into a meeting.
2. Organization: Pockets, zipper bags etc. are things I need to keep my items in order. For example, pockets to separate my dirty and clean clothes, zipper bags for my shoes, and a place to store my electronics.
3. Durability: This is key because of all the wear that comes from traveling and heavy use.
4. Unique Brand: Don't get me wrong, I love my Lululemon bags but I wanted something that I hadn't seen before. You know I like standing out in a crowd. ;)
5. Size: The ability to store at least two pairs of workout clothes, two pairs of shoes (running and training) and my toiletry bag was the minimum I was looking for. This would cover my typical weekly regimen both in and out of town.
After a few weeks of searching online I came across a bag that met all of my requirements and then some---say hello to the Onyx large size Landon Caryall Duffle Bag by Dagne Dover. Carry all indeed, this bag was built for someone like me. Here are few of its stats:
- Premium Neoprene and Performance Air Mesh
- Nylon Lining
- 16.5” L x 9” W x 11” H
- Top Opening: 15” snapped, 24” unsnapped
- 10” Handle Drop
- 2 lbs Weight
- Crossbody Strap Drop Length: 16” - 28”
- 15” L x 9” W Laptop Sleeve with Elastic Closure
- Two Interior 10” L x 9.25” W Air Mesh Pockets
- Additional Large Interior Zipper Pocket
- Exterior ID/Phone Pocket: 4” L x 7” W
- Air Mesh Zip Top Pouch: 6.75” L x 4.75” W
- Shoe Bag: 12.5” L x 15” W
I've been using this bag for a week and just took it on its first trip to Dallas and let me tell you, it's exactly what I needed. It looks sophisticated, carries everything I need, and doesn't look bulky. This bag comes in a variety of colors, patterns and FOUR different sizes. The website provides a ton of photos and a video to help you pick the perfect size.
The large size comes in at $185 which is definitely a premium, but like all my workout gear, it's an investment. You can purchase the bag on the Dagne Dover website, and Nordstrom has a few select colors on their website as well. The benefit of buying it at Nordstrom is that you can return or exchange it in person if needed. But I know you're going to love it as much as I do!